025: 8 Psychological Strategies to Tackle Climate Change
Climate change is arguably the biggest global health threat of the 21st century. It’s so big, it’s also likely to trigger depression, stress or other mental health issues. So, what can we do and more immediately, how can we keep our mental health strong as we engage with this challenge? The Australian Psychological Society (APS) has tackled this head on with their Climate Change Empowerment Handbook. The handbook covers the nature of the threat, cognitive biases we need to overcome, and a eight strategies that can help people more effectively engage with the challenge of climate change. APS also created a nifty graphic using the acronym ACTIVATE to illustrate the eight strategies.
Green Team Academy Podcast with Joan Gregerson
[1:00] The more you know about climate change, the more weighty it feels.
- How humans make sense of facts does not simply follow from rational interpretations of scientific evidence.
- Exaggerate some and downplay others
- Climate change risk gets downplayed
- Influenced by our values and beliefs
- Tendency to think that the way things are now is right and just
- Cognitive dissonance: what we know conflicts with what we do
- A: Acknowledge feels
- C: Create social norms
- T: Talk about it
- I: Inspire positive visions
- V: Value it
- A: Act
- T: Time is now
- E: Engage with nature
- G: Gratitude and awe
- S: Self-care
- Climate Change Empowerment Handbook (2017), Australian Psychological Society
- ACTIVATE: 8 Psychological Strategies to Tackle Climate Change (2017), Australian Psychological Society
- Green Team Academy Podcast Episode 5: The Most Important and Easiest Climate Action You Can Take
- Research results demonstrating the consensus around climate change. The Consensus Project
Discover how to launch and grow a green team in your community. Suggest a topic, get the free Green Team Quick Start Course and download the free Eco Film List at www.GreenTeamAcademy.com.
If you like what you’re hearing, please subscribe, rate and review!
The time for action is now because there is no Planet B!